9 Keys to Better Listening
Keep the following goals in mind when practicing good listening skills:
- Just listen.
- Don’t interrupt.
- Don’t finish the other person’s sentences.
- Don’t say “I knew that.”
- Don’t agree with the other person. Be neutral. Even if he praises you, just say “thank you.”
- Don’t use the words “no,” “but” or “however.”
- Don’t be distracted. Don’t let your eyes or your attention wander.
- Maintain your end of the dialogue by asking intelligent questions that show you’re paying attention. Move the conversation along, and allow the other person to talk.
- Don’t strive to impress others or demonstrate how smart or funny you are.