Timing can be everything when it comes to humor. Follow these guidelines to increase your chances of getting a few chuckles after your next one-liner:
- Watch for a playful mood before you tell a joke.
- Keep your stories short and simple.
- Laugh at your own jokes when a room goes silent. It’s contagious.
- Link laughter to something people already know: place, work or climate.
- Avoid laughing at other cultures; instead, laugh at your own.
- Laugh at your own ego.
- Listen to people who make you laugh, and mimic a few tactics they use.